
PANAMA – At-Large Regional Leaders Session
Thursday, June 28, 2018 – 13:30 to 15:00 EST
ICANN62 | Panama City, Panama

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: ICANN 62 Panama City, At-Large Regional Leaders Session in Salon 6.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Hello, everybody. We are going to start this meeting. I would like to speak in Spanish. Okay, let's start.

Thank you very much for being here. As the LACRALO chair, in Barcelona, I will be leaving the chair – I'm going to speak in Spanish because I'm in Panama. I am not going to be the chair in Barcelona and I would like to formally welcome you to this meeting. Since this meeting is being held in our region, I am going to be the leader.

Having said that, we are going to start by reading the agenda and see the status of the most important topics. The idea is, of course, to give you the floor for you to be able to tell us about the status of the region. Eduardo Diaz, you requested the floor. You have the floor.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I want to add something to any other business in the agenda. Should I do that now or later?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Well, I believe that I am going to make use of my position as a leader and I am going to accept your petition, but this is because of a very important reason because item number four has to be addressed by Alan Greenberg. So, since he is not here, we are going to make a change in the agenda, so we are going to address that point. Please, you are free to make your proposal right now, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: To the agenda, a position paper that we are generating in our region to send for the fellowship comment area. So, I wanted to discuss it with the group at the end.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: So, at the end of the agenda, we will formally add that. You have the floor, Satish.

SATISH BABU: I would also like to submit an AOB item, if it's possible. This is regarding the At-Large review implementation and the role of RALOs in the implementation. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Okay, Satish. We will add that item to the agenda. So, taking into account the amount of topics that we need to address and the time that we have available for that because we're behind schedule, so we will just devote some minutes to each of the topics.

Having said this, I would like to have a report by each of the regions according to their hot topics, so I would like to give the floor to Olivier Crepin-LeBlond for him to speak about his region, Europe.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Thank you very much, Humberto. Unfortunately, I had not clicked on the hot topics list yet. Okay. So, as you know, EURALO has started a trend of having EURALO hot topics and hot topics as they relate to ICANN. I've already spoken to you in the past about all the hot topics that we've had. I just wanted to give you a quick update as to how we've been able to use those hot topics and how we've been able to go further than just having a list of what everyone likes in our RALO.

We've made a list of our At-Large Structures. We've asked each one of them and our individuals as well to take the hot topics list and write their names next to the ones that they have both

knowledge of, but also that their At-Large Structure is involved in. In some cases, GDPR for example, we have some At-Large Structures that actually are directly involved in Brussels with the feedback on GDPR and that are absolute experts in the topic itself.

So, once we have that list, we've now also been able to ask our ALSes and our individuals privately whether they could contribute to any of the public comments that are currently in place. That's actually worked quite well. So, I wanted to – well, I think I've already explained how we've done it and so on, but I wanted to find out if the other RALOs have been able to pursue experiments in this as well and what kind of feedback they've had from their experiments.

In EURALO, we've had I would say a reasonably positive response. It's interesting because when emailing those ALSes and asking them by e-mail, "Could you spend some time on this public comment?" it's taken several instances of asking them, but ultimately, they did contribute, even if it was just a couple of lines that they were contributing to any statement or any input to this.

When actually going out there and meeting people – and that's the thing I wanted to link it to. I do travel as part of other duties and other things. I do travel throughout the European region,

and I link up with the local At-Large Structures or individuals that are there. Link up with a lunch or just a coffee, take a coffee with them or just go and visit them.

I've discussed, based on this list that we have, I have discussed the topics and said, "So, how much do you know about this?" And they've actually exceeded the thought that I had. I just thought it was one of their small side occupations, but they're actually real experts.

The problem, though, that they've provided back to me is they don't have much time to devote to the topic when it relates to At-Large. They're often [inaudible] or they have a core mission with a narrow remit on these topics. Perhaps, working with a commission or working with a government or working with specific companies or other civil society organizations. So, I'm not quite sure how we can get them to devote the time to those hot topics, even though they have much knowledge.

That's the feedback we've got from our region. I'd be interested to hear if any of the other regions now have gone onto the next level. I know most of the regions have discussed hot topics regionally. Some have said, "Oh, but people come back and they tell about hot topics which have nothing to do with ICANN," but I gather that it's pretty easy to take a pen and strike the hot topics that are outside of ICANN's remit and then stick to the ones that

are within ICANN's remit. So, what do you do with that afterwards or what are you planning to do with that afterwards?
Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much, Olivier. Satish, you have the floor. Go ahead, please.

SATISH BABU: Thank you very much, Humberto. We have not progressed significantly after our last gathering of the hot topics. So, the topics list is there on the website, but the next challenge for us was to create interest in the ALSes and individuals in order to participate.

So, we have been discussing this challenge for some time. The topics are well-known, but the gap is in getting people to come and contribute.

Recently, we have a new initiative. Olivier and [inaudible] starting a policy support working group, I heard. Now, in our monthly meetings, we discussed whether we can have this concept of a policy ambassador from the community. In each of the hot topics – for example, data protection, GDPR, geographic names, competition, consumer trust, consumer choice, all the areas. We have a kind of rough consensus that we can go ahead.

Our major question was we have three people who are identified for policy. These are the ALAC members. Then we have the community. So, if you have an ambassador from there, will there be an overlap? That was the question.

The general feedback was that, no, it is fine, and we can look at community ambassadors who can then lead discussions on the topic. This actually follows the Abu Dhabi general meeting where the community, all the ALSes there, suggested that we have some grouping for each of the policy ideas. So, we are now, after having identified the policy areas, we are moving on to the implementation part by having this ambassador role and we are looking at this committee – this working group, I’m sorry – to provide us with some [inaudible] on how to take this initiative forward. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much, Satish, for your comment. This is very interesting. I would like to give the floor to Fatimata. Thank you. Go ahead, please.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Thank you. Regarding AFRALO, we did discuss again the hot topics. We had like nine hot topics. And we decided to group them. So, we decided to group them into three major groups

and we had several meetings on that. We decided to create group A is about really DNS, [inaudible]. I'm not going to list all of it, but we grouped them into three major groups.

One is about the DNS, new gTLD. The second one is about GDPR, [inaudible] accountability and transparency. The third one is about diversity and participation at ICANN, etc.

What we ended up doing was to create a working group that will work also the capacity building group. So, the idea behind all this is to build our community's capacity to be able to provide inputs within those groups. So, we ended up electing two co-chairs who will be working on – okay, let me finish and then you add to it.

The co-chairs have agreed that the chairing will be done on a rotation basis and they would be working with the Capacity Building Working Group.

So, we worked together to set up now an implementation plan of how we are going to implement the action items. For example, we talked about the staff resources that will be required for translations and printing of materials. Talking about speakers and experts, collaboration between AFRALO hot topics, working group co-chairs, and the capacity building.

So, we will be setting up calendar invites for members because we believe that before we can really provide valuable input, the capacity of the members should be [inaudible]. So, you wanted to add more, Sarah?

SARAH KIDEN: I just wanted to [inaudible] that there are three co-chairs and not two. Thank you.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Thank you, Sarah, for that.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much, Fatimata and Sarah, for your report. Eduardo, you have the floor.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Mr. Chair. The approach that we have taken with the hot topics is, basically, not use the list that is published. Really, the hot topics that we're looking at are those policy currently happening in ICANN that are very hot, that are ready – they will be [inaudible] comments in the future or that we can comment through the policy process.

So, what we are doing now is we're getting an expert on [ex-policy] to come to our monthly meeting and we use half an hour

for presentation. Very basic presentation around the policy. Then we have questions and answers. We have been doing that since the beginning of this year.

The next step after that is really what I wanted to happen and I'm not sure how we will be going around doing it. I have some ideas. To get members of the region to participate in one of those policy groups. Maybe as a member, participant, or observer. The idea is to bring the members back into the monthly meetings and have them report what happened in that month.

The idea behind that is to make it more people involved in the region and then we will take it from there. But, that's how we are using these hot topics [inaudible]. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much, Eduardo. I would like to make a brief presentation about LACRALO, but I would also like to make some questions in relation to what Olivier said and to what Satish said before, and of course taking into account your comments.

We have been working for a month and a half and we finished with our survey on the hot topics. We had a delay due to some [inaudible], but despite this, many of the hot topics were

addressed in our monthly meeting. So, we invited experts to explain these topics.

Having said that, I believe that we need to ask ourselves the function of the hot topics because we need to understand that these hot topics are dynamics. I mean, they might change. Today, we have a hot topic, but that hot topic may change in the future. So, that makes a problem for us or represents a problem because we need to have revision or review mechanisms to see if they are okay or not because we can start working in a hot topic. We can implement that hot topic, but perhaps once we do the implementation, the hot topic is over or is no longer available.

So, I have a kind of dilemma in this regard. So, it's okay to have hot topics. It's good to have hot topics to discuss, but they are changing so fast sometimes that we cannot make or create an implementation plan. That's why we have to question ourselves the nature of how we are dealing with this issue of hot topics.

So, that is the first topic I would like to mention and I would like to put on the table. Perhaps we might need to choose, for example, a topic. Let's take privacy or the GDPR issue. The issue of privacy is going to evolve throughout the passing of time and throughout the different situations, but we need to talk about not privacy but data protection. So, perhaps, the hot topic

should be data protection at ICANN, for example. So, we should change the name, because in that case, we may have a new dynamic. Nowadays, we are dealing or talking about the GDPR. So, I would like to put forth this issue, to put this on the table, to see how we can discuss this topic.

Then, the other thing is that we cannot have 10 or 12 hot topics. We need to have one, two, or three because there will be [inaudible] by the region.

Olivier, you have the floor. Go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Humberto. You're absolutely right that the hot topics are a dynamic list. There are always new topics coming up. There are other topics that are cooling down. We have noticed this in EURALO because we started over a year ago. We've actually put dates on the hot topics. We've got hot topics 2016, hot topics 2017, and obviously we're halfway through 2018. You remind me that we have to now get hot topics for 2018.

The list itself is actually on a Google doc. It's a little bit like any information on the Internet. The moment you print it, the moment you put it in a PDF, it becomes obsolete. So, we've put it on a Google doc so that members of the working group that

update those are encouraged to constantly make updates. I know that there are a few – especially if we add an ALS or add a few members, they might want to list themselves on the table as well, so they sort of add themselves to this.

Secondly, we have a working group – the engagement working group in our region – that is tasked with constantly reviewing the hot topics list and adding and deleting and amending it. So, we have dedicated people that have been tasked to do that. That’s the theory. In practice, okay, they need a little kick every now and then, but they do it.

Third, I wanted to finish my intervention with a question, which is to what extent do ALAC members take part in stimulating policy discussions in your RALO?

I’ve heard some ALAC members – I’m not going to point at anyone – saying, “Oh, but I’m on the ALAC. I with policy on the ALAC. The RALO stuff has to be done by the RALO leaders.” And I’ve heard others who say, “I’m very much involved with my RALO,” and in fact, they’ve been really great to stimulate discussion locally. What should we do? What can we do? Can we do something? Should we do something?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you, Olivier. Heidi, you now have the floor.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm wondering if we might consider using this group as well as the incoming leadership, the RALO leadership, going forward and in Barcelona at the annual general meeting is to have, to use, one of the video slots that Evin puts together to identify one or two hot topics that you believe will be hot during fiscal year 19 and to have those chairs just have a video on what those topics are and explaining it very simply that could be used in the booths when you do outreach, etc.

In addition, you might wish to have a complementary slide deck, PowerPoint deck, put together that you can use when you're doing outreach in your regions. And of course we can have that translated into French and Spanish. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Sorry, Olivier. Maritza asked first. Maritza, you have the floor.

MARITZA AGUERO: The idea that Olivier expresses of the interaction of the RALO leaders with the ALAC members is essential. First, because ALAC members are the ones who have the information from direct sources and they are also updated with all the topics that are now being discussed.

This is a concern that we have already expressed at the level of LACRALO, just to add to what has been said already.

We've had a working group and we have had some sort of brainstorming, so to call it. This brainstorming is critical because the interaction of different issues will allow us to have timely comments. Comments that are associated to the hot topics. Two, the creation of new working groups that are very important for the region. And thirdly, to encourage participation among the ALSes in our RALO.

So, even though it is true that distance and time and the activities changing may make it – may allow it for there to be additional issues, the leadership teams in the RALO should actually apply this.

I think what should be interesting is if maybe we can share among us as leaders this participation [inaudible] so that we can improve them. This would be interesting, because maybe what works for us can also work for other RALOs. It's not evidently a rule because each community is different. But, it would be interesting for us to be able to explore and this is a great opportunity to share these ideas. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you, Maritza. Olivier Crepin-LeBlond, you now have the floor.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Humberto. In response to what Maritza was saying and in response to what Heidi was also mentioning, who should lead this? Who should lead this? Is it the RALO leaders that have to, on top of the outreach that they do and on top of the engagement and so on, they also have to coordinate the policy work, or should we get our ALAC people to do that?

And turning to Heidi, you mentioned doing videos. Is it staff that will do this or is it ... Who will do that?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I would suggest this group work with their ALAC leaders that will bring those two points together, identify one or two hot policy topics that you think will be the hottest during fiscal year 19, identify let's say three people and then Evin can coordinate that video. And that video then can be used in the next year when you're doing outreach, when you're working with your ALSes, individuals in there, so they will see what those hot topics are. Just a three-minute video of what the hot topics are, explain what it is.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Heidi, I'm going to reply in Spanish. I understand, Heidi, what you're saying. However, there's this problem and let me give you a practical example. We are going to have a video on the [GBBA] next month in Barcelona, and probably this issue is over because maybe we did not find a solution or it may be the end of a hot topic issue. So, we're going to show a video in December to the new members or in March and it will no longer be a hot topic. [inaudible]. This is what Olivier is saying.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I would think that there might be one or two topics that you could select that are going to be around. Maybe longstanding items that are hot or just need explaining for the RALOs, for the ALSes in your regions.

The purpose of the hot topics is to address. When you're doing outreach, that's one thing. But also to engage your ALSes, identify what the policy topics are, why it impacts end users.

So, as we're trying to draw in more individuals within the ALSes and standing individuals, explain what At-Large is doing. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Fatimata was asking for the floor. Then there's Olivier and Satish.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: I think within AFRALO, we have very good interaction with our ALAC members, and it would be a great idea to do some work. But, again, I will join my colleagues in saying that if we are to talk about ... If we are to explain the hot topics and to put it in a video, it has to be dated because the time, the content might change by the time you present it. But, if it's dated, maybe we could keep it as a resource for our members just to learn about the topics. But, it won't be really under progress.

However, I think within a working group – I agree that we need to select one to three. That's what we are trying to do within AFRALO, just have three different topics because we have been organizing them that way.

The work will be in progress within a working group, and I think it will be possible at least to document what we are doing within our working group during a period of time and being able to share it using the means we have. The Wiki and maybe some ... We will need some printed materials for countries in Africa, for example. We need to do some outreach. We need some materials, unfortunately, sometimes to reach the last [inaudible] members. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you, Fatimata. Olivier, you have the floor.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Go to Satish. He was before me.

SATISH BABU: Thank you. Two points. First is the APRALO practice is that every monthly call begins with an update by the ALAC members of APRALO. So, it is an integral part of the meeting itself. The ALAC members are also a part of the extended leadership team of APRALO, so it's just one group.

The second point is when you talk about the policy hot topics. We have the choice of a bottom-up prioritization of the hot topics or a top-down prioritization or perhaps both.

Now, I think we have to ... Since one of the roles of the RALO is to respond to the requests from the ALSes, we have to keep our ears open for what they want as well.

There is certainly a role in telling them about what ICANN thinks is priority, but we also have to listen to what they think is priority. Also, we can't ignore the fact that there are some experts in the [inaudible] members and RALOs in the [inaudible] region, I'm sure.

So, we have to have a two-way policy prioritization and not just kind of imposing from top down. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you, Satish. Olivier will now have the floor.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: So, I repeat my question again. Who is in charge of policy? Who is going to do these videos? Are we going to get our ALAC members to do these videos?

The problem I see is that, at the present and it's getting worse, we have 15 ALAC members that are talking with each other and we have a real difficulty to inform our At-Large Structures and our members. This is one of the key problems that has been pointed out by the At-Large review and we need to do something about this, otherwise we are dead.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you, Olivier. Wale, you now have the floor and then Glenn.

WALE BAKARA: Yes. I would like to [inaudible] what Olivier has just said. There are two things here. One, coordination. Two, strategy. So, how do we get this group to coordinate this topic and get them updated as is required every time? Then, we just need to address

the workload that has been created now, because if we are to create the group, how are they going to be [inaudible] in terms of talking to ALAC and they're reverting back to the ALSes [inaudible] topics updated regularly. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you, Wale. Glenn McKnight, you now have the floor.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I want to agree with Olivier and just give you an illustrative point. We've had six meetings in the year and we have not had an ALAC person attend our NARALO call. We have a standing issue on each of our calls to talk about policy issues updates. We do not have anyone on the call. We get no reports. We have a newsletter every month. We ask every month, "Is there any policy issues to put in the newsletter to inform our community?" Again, zero, zero, zero. That's a problem. Why did we elect these people as our ALAC members if they don't communicate with the larger community? We voted them in.

Second thing is in following the great work that EURALO did in terms of the survey. We have a database of 120 or more – I can't remember how many – at least 120 citations of 22 categories of policy issues. Some of them are I think a little off the wall. Some of them are not relevant. I think net neutrality and a few others

that really shouldn't have been there. I think we've got to go back to that list of people who said, "I'm interested in those policy stuff," and engage them, but who is going to do that? Who is going to call them?

But, they need to know, well, is it a really hot topic or just a topic of interest? Because if it's really not a hot topic, don't bother me.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much, Glenn. I think that I'm going to abuse, again, my leadership position here. I think this is an issue that requires a conference call so that we can start thinking and [inaudible] which can be the mechanism.

I want to be very honest. Perhaps we need to discuss relevant issues and I insist the GDPR is a hot topic, but in the end, it's a data protection issue. That's what it is. And perhaps we need to discuss the problem of data protection in ICANN and probably this will impact on different things in different ways.

I'm not against hot topics. What I'm saying is the way we are addressing these issues nowadays, these hot topics last very little. They're like a song. They just last a couple of months and then they disappear. So, I think this should be the first item.

Secondly, we have problems to implement them. We have problems to coordinate them. So, we need to focus on how we

are going to conduct this second stage of those hot topics. This is very interesting. I never have been able to reach this conclusion if we had not had this discussion in the past two years. This is what the reality is. Heidi, you now have the floor.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you. Listening to some of the issues – and I know that some RALOs are very different in terms of their policy and their ALAC members versus other RALOs, but it seems to me that perhaps we are talking about hot topics when we just should be talking about policy and making it clear to our ALSes.

This is where the At-Large review implementation is obviously going to play a part. I would encourage that you work closely with that group and getting what the key areas are needed for policy first and then we come back to the hot topics for that.

This is the At-Large community policy issues, why end users should care. This is what At-Large and ALAC have put together. This is 2016. I'm looking at that, and yeah, some things are out of date, but there are some policy issues and process issues that still could be used. If all of you are not aware of this document in terms of the content and why end users should care, please do take a look at it. It's on the policy page on the Wiki. That's something that we could maybe just go back to and update it and then also just start promoting that within the regions.

Again, finally, keep working with your ALAC members so they do understand the need for them being on your calls and talking about the policy issues, hot or not. These are some of the standard issues that they all should be aware of. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you, Heidi. I agree with this view. I think there really is a problem of denomination of naming. But, that's okay. We never have been able to go back here [inaudible] experience. It's time that was not lost. Sometimes we need to go back to continue [inaudible]. Olivier, you have the floor.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Humberto. From the discussion we're having here, I have an increased feeling that ... So, the RALOs are pretty much like the station master making sure everything is coordinated, runs on time, and we're able to schedule webinars and we're able to reach out and try and get our ALSes to be active. But, the ALAC members are the content providers, or should be the content providers and should be the ones that we use a lot more than we currently use.

Having served on the ALAC, having served as a RALO leader, I now see a bit of a distinction between the two. It doesn't stop the RALO leaders from being involved in policy as well. And from

our ALSes, At-Large Structures and individuals to be involved directly in policy. But, we have a clear channel to the ALAC to and from. When we have people coming to a meeting here for four days, and then going home – and we haven't got any more any of the reports that there used to be in the past. Are we getting our money's worth? What are we getting from them? Do we need to put more pressure on them to do more work?

Sorry for them. I know they're not in the room at the moment. It's easier to put pressure, but it's been going around my head. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you, Olivier, for your input. What you're saying is a problem that we have experienced in LACRALO as well. I'm going to refer to my experience. We have to talk to all our ALAC members and we said that if we could not have a discussion with them – and actually, in our survey, we asked them what are the hot topics that they were suggesting and they provided us with a list of five hot topics and this is how we introduced these in our survey. So, we asked them to provide us with a report each month in our monthly meeting and they will take turns and give us a report of what to do in ALAC.

I have never been an ALAC member. I am supposed to take office in the next ICANN meeting in Barcelona. But, it is very clear for

me that there is a distinction between an ALAC member and a RALO leader. A RALO leader, from my point of view – and this is something we can discuss because I believe each region is different – what they have different functions and it's very difficult to focus on policy because they have to engage in outreach, organize calls, work with the working groups, so you need to avoid problems that are caused within the members of the same region.

The person focusing on policy is the ALAC member. That's the reality. This is how it should be in reality, and in practice, it doesn't always happen but that is my view. Do you agree with me? Maritza, you now have the floor.

MARITZA AGUERO:

Thank you, Humberto. What we have identified some time ago already is something that is causing a difficult interaction because of the distance, time areas, time zones. Well, the leaders in a RALO are 180 degrees different from the function that an ALAC member is having. A RALO cannot progress. This is what happens in LACRALO. That is why we decided to work this way. Well, the LACRALO leadership cannot be on one side and the ALAC members on the others. That's why we call them to hop on the wagon so that we can drive the same vehicle. We

know it's difficult. It's complicated. And you know this. You know this as much as we know this.

The result of a monthly call is not just a connection. It's what happens on the backstage. Whether speakers are there, whether they cancel in the last minute, whether they sent a presentation, whether staff sent this or that, the coordination that we need to have with staff, they're countless. Even the dial-outs that are not happening or that are happening in the last minute or that they just drop and reconnect. The problems we had when Adobe Connect stopped working. This is what we know because we are the ones who are working month after month on these issues.

This is not known by an ALAC member or another person that just logs in and they say, "Hey, this didn't work," or, "Why is this taking so long?" This is how it works.

We all are a team. The result that each RALO has will be independent because each RALO has different cultural issues and customs, so what we did was just mapping the issues. In the long run, these issues need to be changed somehow or other. But, it is also true that under the volunteer scheme, we need to engage in certain activities that we have agreed as RALO leaders.

It is very difficult to follow a RALO, as we know, especially in the case of LACRALO.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you, Maritza. Olivier and then Satish.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Humberto, Maritza, I violently agree with you.

SATISH BABU: Thank you, Humberto. I would like to link this discussion with the discussion that we've had earlier in this room on how the review will change functioning.

If you have a consensus that the role of the RALOs is not merely to build community, but also to act as an enabler for policy processes of ICANN, then the policy enabling becomes a center, one of the important roles of a RALO. And the RALO has to do whatever is required to ensure that the policy role is played.

So, I am, in a sense, unable to understand why NARALO, for example, the ALAC members are kind of different and [inaudible] central role of the RALO, because after all, you elect them. They are your people. So, if we all agree is that the role of the RALOs is actually to enable policy processes for ICANN, then this question as to ... It's very mystifying for me as to why there is a separation of [inaudible] which is kind of [inaudible]. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you, Satish. Heidi and then Eduardo and then we will finish with a topic because we have very little time to address the other items on the agenda.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I wouldn't say I violently agree. I fully agree with [inaudible]. I fully agree with Satish. What I'm hearing, and if that is true for those RALOs where you see two parts, RALOs and ALAC members, I hope that you see that they are complementary. They have to work together. You see. Silvia and I – Silvia is on all the RALO calls. We see that APRALO, AFRALO work so closely. [inaudible] one unit. I don't understand, personally, why the other RALOs aren't like that and why you can't get there if you're not there now.

So, perhaps, if you're not aware of that, perhaps we could get Satish and his team, bring on the whole team, bring on the whole AFRALO team and on one of the calls, either be it the next RALO regional leadership call and show that best practice. How did you get there? What do you do to work together so effectively? That perhaps the other regions can get there as well. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Eduardo, you have the floor.

EDUARDO DIAZ: What I want to say is that if we have a monthly meeting and have on the agenda you come and talk to us, ALAC members, and tell us what happened in the past month at the level of the ALAC, how we can get involved, what's hot, etc. [inaudible] don't come to the meeting, then [inaudible]. I cannot [inaudible].

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Heidi, you have the floor and then I would like to take the floor.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Eduardo, I'm wondering – or all of you. How many of you regularly come to the ALAC meetings? So, I think that that's something that you should consider, too, is coming to those ALAC meetings so you can work. And I agree. Maybe invite them to the regional leadership. But, again, it has to be both ways or it has to be willingness. Again, best practice from AFRALO and APRALO, how they're continuously linked up. thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I do understand. I understand Heidi's concerns and I have a proposal. I personally do not have the time to participate at the ALAC meetings. I participate as a RALO chair and in the working groups and in the workshop organization or I work for ALAC. I

don't have enough time. If I were retired, for example, or if I had the necessary time to participate in all the activities, I would do it. But I have to make my own living. That is the ideal world, but we are not able to commit to that.

So, what I can ask or require an ALAC member is to participate just once a month in the monthly meeting and to report what is happening in ALAC to me. That is the only sacrifice I am requesting, but I do propose that in Barcelona we create a working group or a group or a meeting. We have a meeting with ALAC members so that we can explain to them what the best practices would be according to our own opinion and what to expect from us and what we expect from them because we need to take into account that there will be new leaders onboarding coming into the group.

So, I would like to make that proposal because I believe that is necessary. We are all having communication problems and we need to solve them. This is not just a way of complaining or a place to complain.

Eduardo, have you requested the floor? Okay, Maritza and then Glenn. Glenn, you have the floor first. Go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I just want it as an action item. It's a gentle request for the chair and staff to sort of remind them. It's not the first time we've brought this up and we reach out to these people. I can't say for Satish. He must have some special invitation to them that he gets that participation. I'm not sure about the other RALOs, but I'm just speaking for ourselves.

If you do expect the ALS volunteers and the unaffiliated members – there's some great people and we're trying to encourage more. And if they don't see those ALAC people there, they say what's in it for me? I think it's very important that they're there and explain topics. We can't cover it all. We're dealing with the nuts and bolts and a lot of the process and procedure stuff and we're relying on them. We're a team, right?

I just want to go through the chair and through the staff. It's somehow a gentle reminder to them please attend the calls. If you cannot – and I've heard this. If you cannot, please send a short report and we'll speak on your behalf.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Okay. Wale, you have the last comment and then we will bring this issue to an end because we need time for other topics.

WALE BAKARE:

I'd just like to make the suggestion. I don't know whether it will work or not. What I would suggest is this. Inviting [inaudible] RALOs to attend ALAC meeting should not be the main point. The point is every ALAC meeting there should be a kind of topic that involves every RALO to be discussed at each ALAC meeting. That should be part of the agenda. That should be compulsory. [inaudible] doing okay. Just [inaudible] to attend an ALAC meeting now.

To make it effective, we need to just have a topic, kind of an item to discuss that involves every issue that each RALO is faced at that point. So, I think this will – I mean, we will have a very good report, a kind of coordination [inaudible] discussion between RALOs and ALAC. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO:

Thank you. So, we will finish with this item. Fatimata, I'm really sorry because we are quite behind and we need to address four topics and we have little time.

I would like now to give the floor to Heidi Ullrich for her to speak about point or item number three. This is the additional budget request and funding.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you. We had put up into the chat the additional budget request. I think you're mostly aware that there were very limited numbers approved this year across the board, not just At-Large. So, just wanted to run through that we have, for fiscal year 19, we do have the ALAC [inaudible] for RALOs, for funding of local engagement activities. That was doubled from last year. That's great news. That shows how much you've done in that. I think most of you have used all the money for that in really good ways and I appreciate that with the reports you've sent in, some of the photo slides. That was very impressive to the people who decided on doubling the amount.

This year, you have each \$4,000 and the key point here is that the criteria from limiting travel – last year, this current year, it was limited to local travel only. That meant buses or trains. It also said no accommodation, no stipend or per diem. This year, we've been hearing that those criteria are gone and it's up to you to set the criteria. So, that can include some travel regionally, hotel per diem. That's up to you to decide. If we can also get, if you can put up those criteria. Do you want to continue with this or do you want to go through all of the fiscal year requests quickly and then we'll come back to that? This one? Okay. Hang on. Let's just keep on doing this then. So, that's a key one. Again, \$4000 effective first of July through 30th of June 2019.

The second one is that several of the RALOs put in requests. AFRALO put in a request for a video for outreach and engagement activities. There was one for APRALO for a [pop-up]. That one is actually already taken care of. And there was one from NARALO I believe for a mail card. So, there was given \$15,000 for that. We'll be working with communications. Jana, primarily, on that. So, we'll move ahead with that. I'll be reaching out to you, to those individual RALOs that have requested that.

Then, the third one was what Alan raised earlier today was the ALAC chair transition. That is the extent of ... Oh, sorry, Olivier. Very importantly, we have a joint EURALO-NCUC Town Hall event at ICANN 63 in Barcelona. I understand, Olivier, there is now EURALO and NCSG. Did you want to talk a little bit about that, Olivier?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. Thank you very much, Heidi. I'm already in touch with Renata, with Farzaneh, and with Joan Kerr. Yes, we are going to make an NCSG-ALAC meeting or At-Large meeting. We are looking at whether we should have a 90-minute plus lunch plus 90-minute or an afternoon plus cocktail. So, the money would be spent on food I gather. Food and drinks, primarily. We're not going to get travel and things like that because \$12,000 goes

very quickly when you start involving travel and accommodation and so on.

That said, we've also been told that the conference center in Barcelona is in the center of the town. It's not the one that's at the edge of the town, which is great for us. So, both options are open. If it was at the edge of the town, we would have probably not opted for a cocktail because people often have to leave for buses and things quite quickly.

So, that's where we are right now. I hope that we'll be able to make something which is not just going to be EURALO. I mentioned it's an At-Large thing, so please, all the regions have to help on this. Yes, the agenda. We have to build the agenda quite early on. So, if I could urge everyone to bring forward topics of interest early enough. I've received some feedback on the current agendas, that they're too NCSG focused. That's because when I sent the agenda out, I got very little feedback from people in At-Large, and on the other hand, a few people in NCSG responded very quickly. The earlier we get into this, the more we'll have topics that are of interest to our community and not just the NCSG community. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you very much, Olivier. I think we have a lot of activities there. At the same time, we'll likely be working on the ATLAS, so

that's very busy. Also, the IGF. Just a lot of activities. All the way through. I know you did not get IGF funding, but we will be able to support you in your preparation for IGF activities, those of you who will be going.

So, let's come to the criteria. Do you want to speak to that?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I'm sorry, but Alan was asking. He's in the queue.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Just a very brief comment on the \$4000 per RALO for funding. As Heidi mentioned, it is eligible for travel and hotel right now, but I will give you fair warning. If that's what the majority of it is used for, there's not a chance you're going to get it in the next year. So, make your decisions carefully.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I do understand. I'm clearly understanding what you mean. Heidi, it is possible that we spend that money on accommodation and travel, but of course, we are going to lose that money if we are not using the money wisely. So, I believe that we can use that money to outreach activities so that we can get concrete results. That's the idea. We have to be very careful

when using the money. Olivier Crepin-LeBlond, you have the floor. Then Satish Babu.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Humberto. In responding to the question regarding IGF taking place in Paris, as you all know, nobody has received any funding for this. I wanted to conduct a straw poll of the people around the table who are usual seasoned IGF participants and have proposed workshops and so on, whether they will be in Paris for the IGF. If you will be, please put your hand up. Thank you. I think a lot of people. Most of us are planning to go and try to find some funding another way. Thank you.

SATISH BABU: Thank you, Humberto. I have a question regarding the process for release of funds. For instance, if you open up for ICANN meeting [inaudible] at ALS level, how can these funds be dispersed? Does it get transferred to somebody's personal account, from where to where? What is actually the sequence of activities?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So, there is an online form you need to fill out. Then, in there, it will say where the money should go. Normally, for an

ALS read-out, in the past, you would have to pay up front and then once upon completion, you send the report. You send the receipt to At-Large staff and we'll make the process to reimburse you on that.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I'm going to suggest to keep on discussing the topic offline because we have some pending topics to discuss. So I suggest having a special purpose call for this. So, if you don't object, we are going to continue with the other items on the agenda. Heidi, can you please show us the other items on the agenda? I think that is the ALS criteria. Olivier is requesting the floor. Olivier, please very briefly, go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Humberto. Sorry for this. One last thing to Heidi's point. The Barcelona meeting is going to be I understand ICANN's 20-year anniversary. Is there anything that is being organized by ICANN or should we think about organizing something for our members?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Olivier. I saw your e-mail. I've asked meeting staff and I will let you know when I hear back. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much, Olivier. Now let's continue with the other item on the agenda. I think Alan Greenberg is going to speak about this item. Heidi, could you please put the agenda on the screen? Okay, Alan, you have the floor so that you can speak about the ALS criteria and expectations.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. If you remember, those of you who are old enough and have been around for maybe the last four years, sometime after I became chair, we launched what was called an ALS criteria and expectations task force. The term taskforce is usually used for a group that will do something quickly and then finish. Well, we never finished.

The IANA transition accountability, At-Large review, in that order continued to use up far too much resources and we never quite got back. On top of that, the staff member who was actually ... We had a staff member leading that effort originally and she was moved to a different part in ICANN. So, the whole thing sort of fell apart.

But, the work that was done I believe is still valid. If you look at the critique in the At-Large review and our proposals, they basically are just repeating what we had already decided in the

ALS criteria and expectations taskforce and never got around to implementing.

Now, that's not to say it can't change going forward, but we have a pretty consistent message that we have been looking at for several years and the actual criteria for joining, I don't think there was any real major discussion, with the exception that the application process would actually and clearly ask what is the connection between your organization and ICANN?

If you look at how ALSes have been recruited over the years, they tended to have been organizations that have some connection with the Internet and we went to them and say, "Hey, we do all this great stuff. Do you want to become an ALS?" And most people said yes. But, most of them don't really – or many of them; I won't say most – have not had a real interest in what we're doing. That's resulted in what we have seen in many ALSes – not all, but many – of you go to a monthly meeting because that's not a really painful thing. You vote, if and when there's a vote. But, that's it. You never contribute to a mailing list. You may go to the monthly meeting, but chances are you don't talk. There's no real intersection. You may be a really good organization on the ground in your country, but it's not clear what the ICANN connection is.

So, one of the criteria we put there was you have to explain. Why do you think there's a connection? It may not come through in the end, but at least you have to think about it.

Now, there is a question in our current application which is sort of that, but we really don't look at it. So, that's number one.

Number two, we are going to expect you on perhaps an annual basis, and clearly we can debate whether it's annual or every two years, tell us you still exist. Tell us who the current people are running the organization and tell us about how many members you have. Not that we have an absolute number that we need, but we want to know. Are we talking about a group of three people? Are we talking about a group of 40,000 people? And we have that range.

Now, if you say you're a group of two people, and one of you is the president and the other is the secretariat, I might question whether that's sufficient. There are some people during these discussions who said, "Well, we don't want to set an absolute number." I'm not sure about that, but I'm not going to fight over it. That's in terms of just paperwork.

The other thing that we said is you must agree to take messages that we send and forward them to your people. Now, there are probably some exceptions there. There are probably some groups – and I'll give you an example of one – that we might not

want to apply that rule to. But, in general, if we believe as the original definition of an ALS believes, that the main reason for having an ALS is to have access to the people, that if you never forward anything from ICANN, how do they even know we exist?

We had a case in NARALO a little while ago where someone became an individual member, and to become an individual member, you have to say, “I’m not a member of an ALS.” And he was on the Board of Directors of that ALS. And it was a big one. It was ISOC Canada. And he didn’t know that they were an ALS.

We’ve had other cases over the years where the representative disappeared, so we go back to our files and say, “Who is running the ALS?” We write to the president and he said, “ICANN?”

So, an annual update just to tell us where you are and what’s going on. Maybe biannual if we think annual is too stressing. Basically, periodically, wave your hand at us and say you’re alive. And when we send out message – and we have to send out not 1,000 e-mails that have no meaning like we do right now in ALAC Announce, but targeted policy related messages in the language of the country to the extent that it’s reasonable. With the intent that if you send it out to 100 members, maybe one of them will be interested.

And if we could get one person per ALS – that’s 240 people – what would we do with them? If we could get one for every four ALS, that’s still 60 people or whatever the number is.

So, that’s really all it amounts to. There’s other bits and pieces. We said, for instance, that if your ALS ... As an example, we had an ALS that was specifically focused on spam. Now, that’s an issue which is relevant in our environment. Not because we control e-mail, but because it’s a heavily involved use of domain names and these days it is a major distributor of malware and it’s very much an issue.

So, if we have an ALS that focuses on that, sending them a message saying we’re talking about release of O.com may not have any relevance to them. On the other hand, if they are available as a resource the day we talk about spam, we may have a different category of ALS for that kind of group. There’s not many of them, but the ones who are actually valuable to have when you need them.

So, that’s really the whole thing. I know we said 45 minutes on it. That’s really the substance. It is 100% aligned with what’s in the At-Large review and in our proposal and it’s just a matter of bringing it back to life and making it work.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I have a question, Alan. Are you suggesting that ... Do you want to reactivate the task force? No?

ALAN GREENBERG: As part of the implementation of the At-Large review, we are going to have to have new group working on it, because clearly, one of the other parts of it is metrics. How do we measure that they're actually doing it? Some of those answers are not easy, but that comes down to [inaudible] if you never respond to our e-mails at all, that's a good measure that you're not alive. But, there's probably more to it. So, no, this is going to be an integral part of the review.

What I'm saying is there's some documents and other things to draw upon which I think will give them a head start.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you, Alan. I will consider this issue closed, but it will continue to be discussed because it is part of the implementation of the At-Large implementation. I'm going to give the floor to Eduardo Diaz because he has a proposal in other issues of interest. Then, I would like to give the floor to Satish. But, Eduardo first.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

As most of you know, the Global Indigenous program did not get funded this year, and as a result, is defunct. So, we ask this question to the CEO and I think Judith asked to the CEO again. Basically, they sent us to the fellowship program, to the comment period to send our comments there.

In NARALO, Glenn and I, we put together a position paper that basically calls to this action. I want to read from it. I'm going to explain what I would like to do with this. Then, we can take it offline and see where we go.

The call to action is we are requesting for the ALAC to approve a motion, to encourage the existing ICANN fellowship program to designate two fellowship out of their total allotment for the global indigenous community. When I'm saying global, it's not North America. It's all the regions. The community exists throughout the world. We believe that this abides to the [inaudible] of ICANN to be inclusive and [inaudible] that include this sector of our society as part of the ICANN multi-stakeholder community.

So, what I did, I sent this to all the leadership in all the RALOs to look at it, because what I'd like to see is if this needs comment, then we should put the comments or you feel comfortable with it. What I want to do is I want this paper to be signed by all the RALOs, if possible, as a global thing.

Basically, once we get this going, I will make sure our membership looks at it and comments on this position paper, and then send it to ALAC and also send it to the comment process. I will rally the membership in the RALOs to send comments directly. [inaudible] we support this, because I have heard that some of these programs, sometimes they say, “Oh, we got only two comments.” Well, let’s get them 50. Even though 45 or 60 say we support it. Imagine if we all RALOs do the same thing. [inaudible] get a few more. So, thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you, Eduardo. I think Olivier is first and then Alan.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Humberto. I seek your advice on this. I was going to comment on a point that Alan had said earlier. Should I speak about this or should I ... Because I also had something to say about ...

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Both.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you very much. So, on Alan’s point with regards to the criteria and expectations, I’m not sure if Alan was here, but

we have, as a group, decided to put more pressure on our ALAC members to relate more policy to the RALOs and to act as a more active bridge between the ALAC and the regions. So, that should complete or that should add to it.

Secondly, on Alan's point, you did not mention that the ALS criteria and expectations metrics will be used for the selection of people for travelers, people that will come to ATLAS 3. So, that's one thing that might get some attention for some At-Large Structures.

Now, responding to Eduardo, we have discussed things internally not on the record, and I admitted concerns that EURALO members might not be interested in pursuing this. The concept of indigenous people in Europe is a bit more removed I guess than from other regions. Furthermore, the indigenous people of Northern Europe that live in Finland and Scandinavia in general are probably among the most connected people in all of Europe. These Nordic countries are very, very well-connected.

I did offer some kind of amendment to mention that we should stick also to the one ALS in every country. As I looked at Dev Anand Teelucksingh's stakeholder tool, which is absolutely great by the way, and saw that there were many countries in Europe – Czech Republic and Hungary being two of them – where we have just one registry and never had any fellow, never

had any NextGenn, which is quite strange as well. And you can't tell me that if you leave the capital in Hungary and in the Czech Republic you've got such great connectivity out there. So, we need to find some language for this. thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. I made a comment when Judith raised this in an earlier session and I'll make it in a slightly different way. I think it will be a fine thing for the RALOs and others to support. The request really should come from some indigenous group, not from leadership in this group.

I mean, I think it's fine to ask for it, but it really should be asked for by the people who are going to benefit from not in what I consider a rather paternalistic way.

We have introduced the concept into ICANN. We have convinced ICANN management, and hopefully fellowship management, that there may be value in having people here, but I really think that if they are not supporting it, then we shouldn't be doing it. I certainly have heard at least one comment saying we don't need to have special privileges. We should compete on our own rights and we may get a lot more than two seats.

But, whether that's true or not, I really think the request should come from them, not us, on their behalf. That is putting them in a subservient position, which I don't think is appropriate if we're trying to bring them into the ICANN world. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you. The last intervention, because we have no more time. There is Satish first and then Sarah and then we're going to wrap up because, unfortunately, we have not finished this issue so we're going to have to have another call on this. Then, I'm going to give the floor to Olivier formally because the next meeting is in Barcelona and you will have to continue with these meetings.

SATISH BABU: Thanks, Humberto. My point was, first of all, about the global indigenous program. I am not sure why ICANN discontinued the program and I believe it is largely because of budget constraints and not because the program is not working. So, the program was working and it has been discontinued. There is a rationale for continuing it in some other way. I believe that's what we were trying to do here. Now, whether we can get a real First Nations person to come in and make this request, I do not know because we have not ... These people exist in many parts of

[inaudible] also, but we have not so far contacted them. If possible, I would like to support NARALO's position on that.

I had an AOB item here which cannot be, of course, discussed right now. But, this is about the At-Large review implementation and the role of RALOs in that process. In the response to the initial response, the RALOs had actually created a separate document and many of us, led by Olivier, had worked on the document and it was used to prepare further documentation, etc.

Now that the RALOs are also going to be deeply impacted by the implementation process, I'd like to place on record the point that needs to be a consultative process with the RALO leaders being consulted and the whole steps for implementation being worked out through such a process. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you, Satish. Sarah, you now have the floor to end with this meeting.

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you. I just wanted to ask Eduardo, and I want to mention that as part of the global indigenous program, I really support the program, but I'm wondering if we won't get into a situation

where other people will also request for two seats or [inaudible] community. I'm just wondering about that.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Very quickly, Eduardo, you have the floor.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I cannot predict that.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you. With this last intervention, we are going to adjourn this meeting. We would like to thank you all for your input. We have not been able to deal with all the issues that we want to deal, but this is what is obliging us to meet physically or by telephone.

Formally, Olivier, I would like now to transfer this position so that you can handle this in Barcelona. I wish you luck.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Humberto. Maybe we should have an At-Large flag or something that we can transmit over. I've seen some flag ceremonies taking place. Maybe it's a virtual flag or something.

I wanted to thank you for your expert leadership in putting this meeting together. Both you and Maritza as well. I think we've achieved a really, really incredible meeting today with a lot of topics being discussed. It's been a real pleasure to be able to discuss these openly.

There are a number of activities taking place in Barcelona, as you know. We've got that joint capacity building that's taking place. I invite all of the RALOs to work together on this.

I cannot – well, I'm going to try to say a few words in Spanish or in Catalan then. I cannot promise I will be able to run the whole meeting in Catalan or in Spanish. But, maybe one day. And Heidi wanted to add one more thing, but of course I should have read on my screen but I did not.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

I just wanted to ... As you move from the regional level to the ALAC level, I think you can bring what we're discussing and what you're discussing at this level up to the ALAC and bring those two areas together.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO:

I'm sure I'm going to do it.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: It's true. You are joining the evil empire. So, good luck, Humberto. Watch out. We are watching you. Thanks. And just to finish, of course, thanks to our interpreters and to the technical crew. We've had extensive use of the facilities today, and thanks to you leading the meeting in Spanish, I've been able to listen a lot more than speaking to them today and they are doing a smashing job. It's as though ... It's like these films where you're absolutely dubbed properly and so on. It's really, really amazing. I love it. Thank you.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]