
PANAMA – ALAC and Regional Leaders Wrap Up (2 of 2)

Thursday, June 28, 2018 – 10:30 to 12:00 EST

ICANN62 | Panama City, Panama

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: ICANN62, Panama City. ALAC and Regional Leaders Wrap Up 2 of 2 in Salon 6.

ALAN GREENBERG: We're past starting time, if I could ask Staff to try to gather people together outside.

Can everyone please take their seats?

Welcome to wrap up session -- I'm sorry, can we make sure the recording is started? Thank you. Welcome to Wrap Up Session 2, this is the last formal meeting of the entire group of the ALAC and Regional Leaders, although there are separate meetings of those groups going forward. This is formally a wrap up, an opportunity to take actions. We have had a to be determined slot, which I think we will have no trouble filling but we may actually end early if we do and perhaps most significantly an opportunity to review this meeting and make any comments or plans for the meeting going forward.

I've got a number of items on the agenda, the first one is the Public Comment on O.Com. You will recall that we made an

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

initial, a very short comment, one of the few in recent months or years perhaps, that we actually got ready early and voted on and then submitted. Following that. Jonathan, who wrote the initial comment, keeping his ear to the ground, had sensed that there's other people were making suggestions that we needed to counter regarding whether indeed the domain should be exclusively available to someone would use it as opposed to those who are looking at it as a asset to sell.

A number of comments on where the money should go and how the money should be distributed. It's not clear to what extent a public comment could alter that because the Verisign RSEP request, really, they have no choice but to follow it if it were to be approved, but nevertheless, it's sometimes important to make sure that comments do not go unanswered. Jonathan, at my request worded a supplementary comment and that one was submitted essentially on the submission date and afterwards it became obvious there were a number of either problems with it or things that we felt had to be adjusted and we have I believe already submitted one revised version of it.

Olivier, unfortunately is not here, pointed out that the comment included a quotation from him and from Avri Doria, that goes back a number of years, although it was an ALAC At-Large comment, it's not clear, it's fully applicable eight years later or

whatever the number. There were also people who took some words within Olivier's comment and misinterpreted it, he made reference to GSM Auctions within countries and one of the characteristics of those in many areas is that one sets a minimum price or one doesn't set a minimum price and we were not trying to comment on that aspect of it, but it was interpreted that way.

At this point, I think the general recommendation is that we take that version of the comment, remove all references to the quotations that were made in the past and resubmit it, way past the deadline, asking the person responsible for summarizing it to make sure to use the last version and not an earlier version. The summary is not due till sometime in July, so we have -- it's not already written yet, or if it's written it can be modified.

I'd like the approval of the ALAC that we proceed with that direction, that is take the comment, remove all references to the quotations from years past from both Olivier and Avri, not only remove their names but remove the comments and resubmit it and I'd like the approval of the ALAC to do that. Is there anyone who wants to discuss this further? Is there anyone wishing to abstain from the vote? Sorry, can we have a count of ALAC members in the room please.

Alright, we have everyone except Andrew here who is in an SSAC meeting and is there anyone who wishes to abstain? Can I repeat the question? The question is, do you agree that we should take the comment as currently worded on the Wiki, which I think everyone has looked at, remove all references to the quotations from Olivier and Avri Doria. It stands on its own without those quotations. Obviously if there are any other grammatical changes to make that fit, we'll make them and proceed that way. Is there anyone who wishes to abstain? Is there anyone wishing to vote against? I don't think we need a show of hands for the rest of them but if anyone feels we need to count the people who have not said anything. No? Alright, so we have passed 14-0-0 and that is decision of the ALAC. Thank you.

Next item is you will recall that in the Request for Special AC/SO Budgets this year, we put in a request for a chair transition meeting, that is an opportunity for the outgoing Chair, in the incoming Chair and Staff to meet, to try to as smoothly as possible, make sure the incoming Chair knows what the job is. There's lots and lots of details. This is something that other AC's and SO's have done on a semi regular basis. We have not in the past but in the recent history we have always had an overlap of the outgoing Chair staying on the ALAC and that's not the case. In fact, that outgoing Chair was always one of the Vice Chairs to

the new Chair. That's clearly not the case this time since I'm not going to be on the ALAC and so we requested this face to face meeting.

What we were given was a \$1,200 budget to allow for an extra day or so at this Barcelona meeting. I personally was not particularly satisfied with that because I believe that trying to do this kind of thing while you're also trying to organize the meeting, the Barcelona meeting, adding an extra day or two days onto what is already an almost two-week trip just seemed to be an ineffective way of doing that. In preparation for this I talked to both candidates and they tended to agree. I've talked to ICANN Staff and there is zero chance we are going to get more money allocated to do this.

The option we do have is, you will recall that for this year we had two policy slots that we could use to bring people to ICANN meetings who were showing promise and active in policy activities. By Barcelona we're operating under the fiscal year 19 budget and we do not have a special budget request that covers it but the number of travel slots that we have has been increased by two, the net effect is the same but without the constraint of exactly what they are used for.

One of the alternatives is to take those two travel slots from Barcelona and use them instead of for the ICANN meeting, for a

separate transition meeting, it is not 100% clear that that would be approved because the general rules are travel to ICANN meetings cannot be moved somewhere else but I have some indication it might be approved if we asked for it.

I have not had a discussion with the incoming Chair on in fact which way do we want to proceed but what I would like to get a feeling of the ALAC on is, if Maureen feels that that would be the way to go forward to ensure that she is best prepared to take on the Chair position, what is the feeling of the ALAC about using those two additional slots for travel to a separate meeting outside of, prior to the Barcelona meeting? I'll open the floor.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you. I like to get this very clear. We --

ALAN GREENBERG: We'll do two-minute timers right now, please.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay, thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: If you can keep it to one, I'd appreciate it.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

It's important that we use the slots for what it's meant to be used for. It's good to have more people attend ICANN meetings who actually contributes positively. I think Maureen has been the Vice Chair for a while and I think there's some level of relationship that exists, which I think we can leverage upon.

I don't think it would be good use of the resource to just have the two of you to go to somewhere, lock yourselves somewhere use that fund for that purpose. I don't think it'd be a good use of that resource. I think we can maximize the ALT meeting that we have tomorrow the one that we will have in Barcelona if it's going to happen and you can plan to have some one on one together but not to just to use the policy slots for that purpose. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Two things to be clear. It wouldn't be somewhere, it would invariably be Los Angeles, so we can meet with ICANN Staff, number one. Number two, they are not policy slots right now. Let's just make sure we're talking apples and apples. Seun has indicated he would not support such a move. Anyone else?

JOHN LAPRISE: The third party in this discussion is Staff, could I get a sense of Staff as well, in their experience, if they can offer a professional opinion on the transition please?

ALAN GREENBERG: Just to note, we've never had such a transition as this.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'd like to first just let everyone know what the current request is as approved and that is for \$1,200 for a meeting, likely would be a day, a day and a half, right prior to ICANN63. It would be Maureen, Alan, Gisella and myself being there. In addition, we expect that we will work very closely with both as we move forward on that. It is up to -- we will take direction from you, from Alan and the incoming Chair. Gisella, did you want to add a little bit about the details in terms from your view? Okay, thank you.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: I would like to support the proposal that you both are going to Los Angeles. It's very important way for any leaders and it's very important for Chair of ALAC to be able to meet with other staff of the organization and the best way to do that, I know they are not all in Los Angeles but main parts are in Los Angeles and I really

think that it's important to do that. Second point, it's also good to have some time to think about how the transition will be done and that Chair and the incoming Chair get together with the ALAC Staff.

If it happens that you are fortunate enough to be at the same time some other group met, you will be also at this opportunity to meet with them and I will advise you, if there are any Board meetings during the period you want to go in Los Angeles, take this opportunity. I know that the other staff could be a little bit not in hurry to meet you the time you would like but I really think that it's a good opportunity to enhance the capability of the incoming Chair to learn about what is ICANN more than she already knows.

Thank you very much. I think you can decided what you want but it's my knowledge of this organization and I am participating since 2001 and the way I was introduced to the Board could have been better and I think this exact proposal by Alan is a good one. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. I'll note that if that opportunity would arise to do it with a Board meeting that would also mean other senior Staff,

who are not necessarily in LA would be there anyway. Thank you.

ALBERTO SOTO:

I support the idea of using those resources, not only because it is important but also because it is extremely necessary. Perhaps we can have a kind of merge or merging between using the \$1,200 and the trips that we have and perhaps we will have one slot available. I don't know the number exactly but that is something we could do.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I'm not asking for permission to do this, we're saying, if we decide that it is the optimal way to go, would the ALAC support it because the travel slots essentially are communal resources.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

I'm not an ALAC member at this point. I just wanted to make the point that other thing that's unique about this transition is that the incoming Chair is going to be presiding over probably the most important project in At-Large history, which is this reform effort as a result of the review and the subsequent proposal from the At-Large that was just accepted by the Board. I think the enormity of that task is such that anything that can be done to

help Maureen be in a position to shepherd that project is worth doing.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, Jonathan.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you very much Mr. Chairman. I'd like to decouple a little bit what I'm hearing here because I support absolutely what Jonathan has just said. I think if there is an opportunity as Sebastien has outlined to have the incoming Chair immersed as much as possible, visiting the ICANN Headquarters, getting to know and be known by a firsthand experience with the senior staff and of course our own staff, I think that's essential and we should take advantage of that if it is possible, practical and financially able to be done.

I think the transition part needs to almost be dealt separately. There's a difference between meet and greets and hello your name is John Jefferies and mine is Maureen and blah, blah, that's all very important but that's not transition work and I'm yet to be convinced that that even needs to happen before the Barcelona meeting. I don't know, that can be worked out by other people but I think something has to happen in terms of a

transition if that is desirable, that makes it as effective for Staff and our new Chair and outgoing Chair to make it happen.

I'll point out though, transition through Olivier was what, a couple of hours in the bar one night. Transition for me did not occur and we didn't stuff up too badly. I'm all for making this smooth, I think we still have telecommunications and phone connections in the Cook Islands. There are other ways of doing this. I'm not saying don't use \$1,200 to spend your time at Barcelona, I think that's important, you've got it use it but I also think that a call for 15 minutes every five days would also do well.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I take it you are not supporting the use of that funds for that purpose. Just to note, I believe Olivier's, sorry Sebastien's comment was if we can arrange to do it when there's other meetings, that just increases the benefit, that wasn't a prior requirement of such a meeting is not going to happen.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Alan. I support your project to have a meeting in Los Angeles if it is possible. Why I support it because if things were done otherwise, perhaps it wouldn't be necessary but since the Vice Chair doesn't more than anyone of you and ALAC, this didn't

give Maureen any other knowledge or information than you all. I spent three years with Alan as Vice Chair and believe me, I don't know anything more than you know. I hope that Maureen in the future you will change this. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: I consider myself chastised.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I am a little confused. Are we talking about a day and a half -- would this meeting in LA only be a day and a half or would it be a longer period because we don't have the costs of everyone in Barcelona?

ALAN GREENBERG: If we were given permission to transfer those slots, assuming the ALAC supported that activity, we are talking about covering -- moving a travel slot that allowed for something like eight or nine days of stay in Barcelona. There's no way we're going to spend eight days in LA, so I think it would cover as many days as we feel necessary, whether it's two days or three days or one and a half days, I'm not going to worry about. There will be sufficient funds there to cover that, any reasonable meeting in LA if we're transferring an ICANN AGM slot.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks for the clarity. I think someone ask this other point, would we then be -- is there any way of doing that -- of reserving, maybe transferring -- using some of the money in one slot for a hotel, so you don't lose two full slots. Like maybe use one and a half or something like that, so something is still left for travel?

ALAN GREENBERG: There is no way at this point we can refine that. Whether we could use one slot and because it's only two days and the hotels are cheaper in Los Angeles or whatever, I don't know and I'm not going to try to do that arithmetic on the fly here. The real question is, do we have the support of the group or not? Clearly, if we don't have the support of the ALAC, then we won't even consider it, if we do, we'll start looking at options.

It's going to be ultimately up to Maureen whether she feels this is necessary or not. I have my opinions, Heidi has hers but ultimately, she's not the one who's going to have to do -- shoulder the load in the end. I've lost track of who is in the que at this point. I think we had Eduardo Diaz, we have Seun who spoke already, I'd like to give other people a chance first. We have Carlton, we have Olivier in some order and Holly. I think

Holly was earlier then they were. Let's arbitrarily say it's Eduardo, Olivier, Carlton, Holly and Seun.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you Mr. Chair. What I am trying to figure out, why there is a need for a face to face meeting with all the technology that we do work virtually? I don't know what a one day or a day and a half will accomplish in a face to face that you cannot do virtually. If you can expand on that I would really -- I think it will help me understand.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Eduardo, could you repeat that, I'm sorry, Heidi was talking to me.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

I was saying that with all the technology and all the way we work virtually, why there has to be a face to face of a day or day and a half that you cannot do virtually. I think Carlton last one said, in virtually by not going face to face. If you can expand as to what wants to be accomplished in a day and a half that you cannot do through a period of time virtually?

ALAN GREENBERG: Number one, as I said, this is a not decision that has been made. Question is, would you support it if it were made? I personally believe and as I said at the beginning, that taking time to calmly talk and think about things before an ICANN meeting when we're already going to be away from home for probably about 12 days, is just not a smart way of doing it, that's my opinion. Which is why the issue came up all together and for that matter, why we asked for the funds many months ago.

I don't think anyone wants to take another trip to glorious Los Angeles, forgive me. The question is, is this a viable way to best affect the transfer? If you've elected someone as Chair, I think you should give them some discretion for deciding how to do this but that's the question that's on the table. Let's not debate the if at this point because the decision is not made. Who do we have next? I think Olivier next.

OLIVIER CREPIN LEBLOND: Thank you, Alan. Permit me to express my concern and dismay that we're spending I believe 30 minutes on this topic which effectively is \$40 per minute, so if we were to speak about At-Large 3 ATLAS3 where we're looking about maybe \$300,000 that's 7,500 minutes we need to discuss this, so I would request a 125 hour right now for discussion on this topic, which means we need to stay for an additional 5.2 days, seriously.

ALAN GREENBERG: Excuse me, could we please have a one-minute timer and let's use it? Thank you.

CARLTON SAMUELS: I am a little confused because the first question that needs to be answered is, does the Chair elect believe that there is a need for time away for transition? If the answer is yes, then the Chair elect can say whether or not she would think it is appropriate to have a virtual or a face to face. If you're going to worry about that \$1,200 then I suggest we're selling ourselves too damn cheap.

ALAN GREENBERG: I started off saying, based on a very preliminary discussion and there's been no discussion or great thought afterwards, both Chair candidates supported a face to face over trying to squeeze it into Barcelona. It needs to be reexamined carefully. We are not saying it is a [inaudible]; we are saying, would you support it if we did?

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: I know that we've got a couple of meetings planned over the next 24 hours with Staff. I'd really like to know what was

required from their perspective. If they felt it was absolutely necessary, I'd probably go with it but I take into account everything that everyone said about telecommunications and that sort of stuff. I think that there is an advantage in actually being in LA and making contact with anyone that's important there and I do take onboard to that if we could make it in conjunction with another meeting that would be awesome. There's still discussions that I've got to have with Heidi and the crew about a whole lot of issues. If they also deemed it to be important I think I would go with it.

ALAN GREENBERG:

And I'll point out, it's not just between the incoming Chair and Staff, if that was the case, I wouldn't have to be there and we're saving a whole trip and I would be grateful of that but that's not only issue. We have Holly and I believe that is the last person in the queue right now. Sorry and Seun.

HOLLY RAICHE:

I'll be really quick. I just think if we've got the money, I'm going to leave it up to you two as to how best to spend it and I'll support whatever that decision is.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Based on what -- it seems like Maureen has actually not been doing much as I thought, in terms of her position as Vice Chair. I thought she has been really, really involved but on that basis then I can live with whatever it is that you decide to do, whatever is good to be much more affective, we should do. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

To be clear, our rules of procedure identify the Vice Chairs as people on the ALT who have indicated a willingness to take on more workload and by tradition we also have them physically chairing meetings on occasion when the Chair isn't available. We don't have a situation of Co-Chairs. The Vice Chairs are often consulted as is the ALT, perhaps sometimes a little bit more but that's not the structure that we invented when we last re-wrote the rules of procedure. We can change that, perhaps we should change that but we can't rewrite history. Thank you. I think we have a sense of the group right now and we'll proceed with discussions and decided what we're going to recommend to the group. Thank you.

So much for an item that I thought was not going to take a lot of time. Where are we on time by the way? We have used half of the discussion. Let's try to do the rest of these quickly and I don't really want to cut off discussion but we only a finite

amount of time and several of us have a meeting over lunch, so we don't have the option of extending.

The other item that is potentially for discussion or decision is the Leadership of the At-Large Review. I misspoke the other day, as did Maureen, in that saying that she had been selected as the person to lead it. I was misremembering that was a discussion within the ALT to recommend to the ALAC that that be done. The decision was made that we would not even put it on the table until we actually have something to implement, which is affective now. I apologize for misspeaking and that came out during the earlier discussion we had on the At-Large Review and for that I apologize.

Right now, we are going to have to start thinking about it, just how do we implement as was indicated in our meeting the other day, we have some very short term but significant work to do to work with all of the people who were very active in creating the proposal, to try to flesh it out a little bit. Maureen was one of those people but there were a few others as well and I would like to propose that at least on an interim basis, if not a full basis and I'll explain why I'm saying that in a moment, that we ask Maureen to lead that initial effort and decide how to go forward later as we progress.

Among other others, with Maureen coming in as the incoming Chair, she may choose not to take the lead administratively on that or may choose to take the lead but not do a lot of work. I really don't want to prejudge where this is going because as long as I'm Chair, we are going to be talking about starting to design the implementation but not carry it out and I'm not sure I want to commit Maureen one way or another, so I would like to look at this as an interim discussion which might be rethought once we look at overall responsibilities and that includes Maureen's stated intent to do a lot of delegation. I open the floor for comments.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Alan. I would like to understand, what is this flashing, I don't understand. It is part of the implementation isn't it, so we need this group of the implementation be formed and let's ask people, who wants to participate and let's form this group and then let's decide on its leadership. I think that the group has to decide on leadership. I am really uncomfortable with those things which are not clear. We need something important to flash now. Tell me, what is it? What we need to do now? Is it the implementation? If it is the implementation we need the working group. If it is not the implementation this is not a relevant I think.

ALAN GREENBERG: What we need now, starting essentially Monday, is to start fleshing out that implementation proposal we made to the Board, to break it down into more usable chunks, that we can start looking for people to do the actual work. I believe that is what we need to first. That was not done -- what we presented to the Board, was not at a level of granularity, of details to actually start working from.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Is it the work of the group?

ALAN GREENBERG: As I just said, I think it is the work of the people who are involved in building this proposal, to make sure that what is being added to it matches the original visions. That's my position. Maureen, would you like to take the floor.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I'm aware that when we're actually were building that particular proposal, it was put out to the ALAC and just about everyone contributed something. I think that if anyone wants to join a group that is going to work on this, everyone would be welcome

because I think we do need to brainstorm how would be the best way to actually implement those recommendations.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you, very, very much.

CHERLY LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, very much Mr. Chairman. I'm delighted to hear that everybody wants to be involved. I'm less delighted if you're all going to join an implementation review working party. You need effectiveness and efficiency. You need broader than sitting around this table however, discussion and feed into it. Your question of, what do you need now and this is me wearing my Co-Chair hat of the ALAC Review Working Group, we would like to see the ALAC at this meeting if possible, create and make a call for the appropriate creation of a as per the resolves in the Board Resolution an Implementation Review Working Party, that's the name.

That is a new entity, that will be a little while getting started but it can't be long. Once that starts its work, every six months you've got reporting, please indulge me for another few seconds. What needs to be done now, unless I wasn't listening at your last meeting on this topic, be started by members still in existence of the ALAC Review Working Group and a few of you

and we've got about five or six now, have already put your name forward, to start doing this passing of recommendation, action item, tasks of the newly formed group, get's off the ground running. I hope that helps your decision making. It's up to the ALAC of course.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. For clarity, what I was asking this group to support, since I believe any group like this needs someone who's officially responsible and blamable, forgive me, is to identify Maureen as the person who we can blame in this first phase, if not going forward. Going forward there's a lot to take under account and I would not want to commit Maureen without her permission.

YESIM NASLAR: We have a remote comment from Vanda. She says, "We can have this opportunity to have all to see the work and yes we need to have this implementation group set up to start the work itself. Thank you."

HOLLY RAICHE: In part I'm supporting both Cheryl and Maureen. Tijani, there's probably a group that's needed of a few people to sit down with the actual implementation plan that went to the Board and

dissect it, what is it we actually promised to do? At that stage it would be very appropriate to then go out and say, “Okay, we have a working group, there were a lot of people who were interested at the time, are you still interested?” I think there’s a two-step thing.

One, is to come up with and the way I actually read what we put to the Board there’s probably five or six different activities involved and it maybe that various people have various interested parts of those but what we need first to do is take apart what we said to the Board and say what actually is required and that would probably will take a few people, I’m happy to do that because Cheryl and I were Chairs of the group and I’d like to be involved in that particular task and then it goes out to everybody and says, “Who wants to be involved in this phase of the review?” Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Further comments? Let me try to be clear. If we don’t start work within the next week on this, then we’re already behind schedule and we are not looking at finding all the people who want to work on the implantation for the next two years or three years, whatever it is. We need to start the work right now and I believe we should always someone designated as leading that

effort. I don't much care, if you want to tell me it should be me, fine.

If you identify someone else who has been very, very active in this procedure, as Maureen said, lots of people have contributed a bit, not many people were putting the dozens of hours into that each of these documents have taken or hundreds of hours. I really think it has to be someone who's really, really familiar with what's going on at this stage.

If someone has a suggestion of someone else to identify as the leader, I'd like to hear it, otherwise I'd like permission of this group that we can proceed and start implementing what we promised. When I say start implementing, I'm not talking about doing the actual implementation, I'm talking about, let's write some plans or the overview of the plans. Who would like the floor?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Is the working group going to be created or not?

ALAN GREENBERG:

A working group will be created, the Board has instructed us to created. Unless we're going off on our own, ignoring the Board, we will create a Implementation Working Group. But regardless

of whether it's a party or group, if we're going to spend time debating that, I'm going to turn the floor to Maureen and walk out the door.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

If we started forming this group two days ago, we would have today a group already and this group can decide that a few, five people from perhaps people how wrote the recommendations or the implementation plan, start doing this, this, this, we would be very good position, now we are discussing about how will be, who will chair, who will continue, it's your position.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I think we just had a vote for get on with the work and let's stop discussing it. Does that mean you are happy that we identify Maureen or you're happy that one of the people who have been very active, pick among ourselves someone? Either of those okay? Whatever we want, thank you. We have a mandate. The action items we should -- sometime today, to schedule a meeting of those people who have been very active.

We can go to the Google Docs and count how many comments each person made, that isn't an action item, that was sarcasm and proceed with the work and deliver something to this group back within a week or so. I don't think we're going to get it done

before we leave this meeting, at least not if you're relying on me to participate on it.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Mr. Chairman, may I remind you of the action item out of your early meetings.

ALAN GREENBERG: Please, remind of the action item.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: You had a number of names put forward to act in this pre-prep planning and I suggest that they be involved and if there's a shortfall, we then look for analysis of who else might be needed but at the moment you have a regionally balanced group.

ALAN GREENBERG: Done. Alright, the semi-last item is the EPDP. We do not know at this point, unless Cheryl has not conveyed to me new information that I don't have, exactly how many slots we will get, although we are predicting we will get one slot under some name or another and one alternate. If the skis open and we get two or two and alternate, that just increases the amount of work we have. Cheryl, is that close to where we are?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Mr. Chairman. In my guise as GNSO liaison I have been watching on your behalf quite closely what's been happening with the drafting team for the expedite policy development process. I've shared yesterday to the At-Large list the current read only document on that draft, you'll note it is incomplete. I will have perhaps a further update later today, after the GNSO Wrap Up, which will be the session I'm in for the rest of today until the High Interest one this afternoon and I will update that to the list as well.

I would just give us all a caution, of course we may feel comforted by now by what we see in the draft charter but like all GNSO things, the draft charter will be subject to approval only after the constituency and stakeholder groups have instructed their counselors how to act. So, whilst there's been intelligent and collegiate cooperation on the draft so far, the pressure from any of the C or SG's could overturn that and I may not have such good news, but at the moment, that is tracking.

ALAN GREENBERG: If we are not given any position on this group what so ever, we will react to that, that's not the question on the table. The question on the table right now is, we think that there's a good

chance we have something to do. I would like to suggest that the following, the only people that we consider for these positions are A) someone who's willing to commit the time, and this is a significant time commitment, B) someone who has been very actively involved with the predecessor activities and C) that we not open this for a -- we will announce that we're looking for someone but that we not do this as a normal selection process but we do this either with the selection committee that we have, the standing committee or the ALAC itself and my preference at this point, I believe is to do with the ALAC itself. I think this is a crucial decision.

CHERYL LANGDON ORR:

Mr. Chairman, thank you very much. Just recognizing of course that not all of you may have read every word of the draft and something you just said triggered me to present to the table for your information, the criteria for any capital M member in a representative role, it may be different if it's a capital L liaison in a non-voting and somewhat perhaps decorative role but for a member will be an established set of criteria, as much as you might all have good ideas about the type of people who need to be here, there will be established criteria associated with this.

ALAN GREENBERG: Clearly, if there are GNSO criteria, we must meet them. I was talking about our criteria.

TIJANIA BEN JEMAA: Thank you, Alan. I am very happy that the GNSO will put criteria because I really don't agree with every time we say we need people who worked on it, we need people, if we do that like this, we will never have the new people. Seun might be in the future a very good leader, so if you don't give him the chance to do the good work or to follow good work, he will never be a good leader.

Don't tell us always, we need people who did that and who did that. We say we need people who made and who is able to do to the work. If someone doesn't have anything, any knowledge about the issue, of course he's not good but it is not a condition that he already worked on this issue before. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: If I may be allowed. This group is going to convene probably sometime in August and has to finish its work by October. There's no time for learning curves.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Tijani, I support what Alan said to extent that in fact this is really, really critical but it is a lot of work and it would be really, really helpful for whomever is selected to be able to take with them two or three other people to be able say, “Look, we’ve been asked about particular questions, can I farm this out to you?”

It’s a perfect opportunity for people to learn but in this stage, they’re going to have to learn from somebody who’s actually really, really understood this issue from day one because it’s going to be really full on. But you’re right, it should be a terrific training opportunity because we should be brining everybody with us because this is an issue that’s going to be with is for a long time.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I believe if we don’t use the mechanism that we used for the IANA Transition and Accountability of bringing other people into the discussion on a very regular basis because it’s going to be a very fast moving group, that we would be insane. There’s no way one person is going to embody everything we want but we may only have one person who can speak.

BARTLETT MORGAN: I think you've largely said what I wanted to say, so I'll just leave it there for the moment. This isn't the perfect time for a newcomer to be the face of ALAC.

TIJANIA BEN JEMAA: I didn't speak about newcomer.

BARTLETT MORGAN: Newcomer to the key issue.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'll note, we are way over time already and into the lunch break and I have to leave very, very quickly and there are other items we must bring up at this meeting.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you, Alan. Kind reminder to state your names before speaking please, both for the interpretation purposes and for the recordings as well. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: It's pointed out that we have until noon, it's not the half hour, my apologies.

YESIM NAZLAR: We have a comment from one of our remote participants, from Vanda, she says, “I’m with Bartlett, he’s right.” Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: I’ve never had someone say so clearly about me, congratulations. I think we have a future leader here. Anyone further?

SEUN OJEDEJI: I just like to also mention that I don’t think it’s a matter of newcomer, I don’t think that was the point Tijani was making and I think we should actually take it -- we should note it very well. When we did the transition, we all went there, we contributed to the extent that we could. I think transition was one of the ones that made me to be able to have more knowledge about ICANN. I’m not putting my hand up for what Tijani is saying perhaps but I think we should recognize that we also need to find a way of getting people to go along in this process, not just the gray-haired ones, sorry Alan. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Fact of life, some gray haired old men around this table, Tijani.

TIJANI BEM JEMAA: For the record, Seun is a member of the Board of AfrICANN.

ALAN GREENBERG: May I bring us back to the question, I wasn't trying to select the person today, I was trying to identify how we select the person and that discussion is -- I don't believe anyone has addressed.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: If I understood well your question Alan, you want us to decide if it's us as ALAC who make the decision or if we ask the sub group who makes the decision or who will be. I as it is a complex issue, I agree with you and your proposal, it must be ALAC who makes the decision. Thank you, very much.

OLIVIER CREPIN LEBLOND: Thank you, very much Alan. Are we going to go through the list of action items from the week or are we going to run out of time on this?

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't predict whether this group runs out of time. We still have at this point, 21 minutes, depends how much longer this discussion goes on I guess.

OLIVIER CREPIN LEBLOND: I'd be happy to volunteer to move on and to ask a totally different topic in a Monte Pythonista way.

ALAN GREENBERG: Then we will move on at this point. The next item on our agenda is that, Gisella would like to talk a little bit about travel logistics for Barcelona.

GISELLA GRUBER: I'll keep it very brief. Just to say that you've received the emails for the travel for ICANN63 to Barcelona. The deadline is July the 20th and bearing in mind that we always have a little of a lull after an ICANN meeting as you catch up with your day jobs and then the holiday season kicks in for some regions of the world. If you'd just be mindful of that and respond as soon as possible whether you're able to attend ICANN63 in Barcelona so that we can then reallocate the travel slots accordingly. Thank you, very much.

ALAN GREENBERG: And that of course means for the RALO's that have more than two regular travelers, they have to decide which of their travels are there. We did have a 30-minute item on the agenda to review ICANN62 and talk about planning for ICANN63, we don't

have 30 minutes anymore. Does anyone have any comments they believe they would like to make at this point about how well this meeting has gone or what we should do differently for ICNN 62? Which of course, is a very different meeting with a very different number of hours in a very different format.

As I said when I started this meeting, we did a really good job in San Yuan of making sure we allocated enough time to talk about everything and did everything on a preplan way. This time, it didn't work out as well. We had a number of comments earlier from Sebastien on different ways of doing things and I'll point out that we sent out various version of Agendas for weeks and weeks before hand and said, "Please, if you have any comments, submit them."

We accommodated the Chair candidate meeting because there was a strong request for it at the last moment and we somehow had it. We are going to have in a short amount of time, the discussion on NomCom delegates but if people want to influence how we organize these meetings and what we talk about, we really have to do it well head of time, not after we've already arrived in the city. Olivier has indicated he would like to speak on this subject.

OLIVIER CREPIN LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Alan. I asked for the floor looking at ICANN62, based on a number of questions that I have been asked from members of the GDD department, from senior ICANN staff, from Board member, the question being, what is the ALAC position on ICANN seeking community feedback on a proposed unified access model? Which I believe is probably the most important thing that is taking place at the moment at ICANN62. There is a public comment process, we'll it's not a public comment process, it's a consultation out of the Chairman's blog, are we planning to respond to this?

On our policy sheet, it for some reason sank to the bottom of the heap on the policy sheet but I gather it's going to go higher than that, it's currently empty, we haven't had a chance to discuss it, when are we going to discuss it? Are we actually planning to send something out because frankly I have no idea what this community thinks of this model? Secondly, frankly, I also believe that we are right at the heart of this thing. The end user is a heart of WHOIS.

ALAN GREENBERG: I can only speak for myself, I plan to submit a comment on to our Wiki page and hopefully that will contribute to whatever the ALAC says. We have typically, amazingly poor response when we put those calls out to give your input onto these things. I hope

on this one because of the importance of it, we will get somewhat better participation, I hope.

SARAH KIDEN: I wanted to ask about travel logistics because I know that newly will be seated at Barcelona meetings, how does that affect the travel?

ALAN GREENBERG: It doesn't, it's extra slots for incoming people.

ALBERTO SOTO: My suggestion has to do with a procedure in meetings. I think we have responsibility to keep to the schedule. I believe that we should be aware of how we carry our discussions and, in this case, this is the responsibility of the Chair and the ones who participate by providing opinions. We need to be more affective, we need to be brief and we need to be more productive in terms of participation. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: If you have any suggestions how we can do that. As I said, the last meeting went very smoothly, we had a luxury of a huge number of hours and fewer subjects.

ALBERTO SOTO: My first suggestion is that the Chair, the one presiding over the meeting to refrain from making comments when we speak because we speak all together but we lose a thread of the conversation if we speak all together.

SEUN OJEDEJI: I think this particular meeting was good, I like the way we have this schedule, provided the schedule ahead of time, planned the important meetings and so on and so forth. I particularly liked the opportunity to actually go to those important policy sessions. I think the auction proceeds and one other policy discussion will be getting to final stage or draft stage in Barcelona.

I think we should be good to see how we can actually take advantage of that to have position to particular topics for Barcelona. I would like we attend the meeting and then come back to ALAC to have a position in Barcelona for those points. Secondly, I don't think the CEO session particularly good, it was a very good session but I think the questions that we asked, I don't know what happened to them? We didn't get specific response on those questions. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: He chose to ignore them, I have no control over that.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Then there's no use getting the questions the first place, so maybe we don't do the exercise next time. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: I won't go into my frustration at this point.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: First of all, I want to apologize to have raised some suggestion to have some meeting when we are already here but the question, there is no question we will not need those meeting and the fact that we are having different candidates having different question have brought my attention and it's why I wanted to have those meetings. I don't see why three months ahead I would have had this idea.

Maybe that could be an action item that each time we have election selection of one type or other, we need to have a slot to have this discussion in the future meeting. I wanted to -- I don't know if the liaison to the ccNSO is here but I have two things if he is here, he could talk about what is happening in this because I think it's important that we get feedback on two items that they are talking about because it's concerned directly us as end

user and needs not just the CC matter, it must be for us at TLD matter.

ALAN GREENBERG: Can you identify those items offline and we'll make sure that the --

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: I'll give you, it's just two words, [inaudible] and natural disasters.

ALAN GREENBERG: I hope Staff caught that. Emoji and natural disasters and we have reports at the ALAC meetings and we'll explicitly request that the liaison does that. Thank you very much. I've been told I should make comments after every intervention and I try not to. I will respond to Sebastien. There are going to be times and clearly both cases of meeting the Chairs and the NomCom delegates are things that come up at the last moment and we make changes.

It was hard but we made them but an awful lot of comments that get made after the fact about meetings are things that could have been said months before and don't get said and then we're asked, "Why didn't we talk about this, when we knew it

was going to be an issue?” And the answer is, the Chair and Staff were the ones who participate mostly in this, although we do have other people who have volunteered to work on this, don’t think of everything.

SATISH BABU: I particularly appreciate the paper that was given to us about the program that Staff prepared that. The important events in the meeting. Now, I wonder if it’s possible to add some more meat in preparation for Barcelona by putting this onto a Wiki page as well and providing us links to the important -- even a webinar would be useful in preparation for the next meeting.

ALAN GREENBERG: To be clear, you’re talking about that one-page schedule?

SATISH BABU: That one-page things, as a Wiki page you can refer to and some more information on that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Just for the record, that was my initiative and it is reflecting what is on the Wiki pages, the day by day Wiki pages. The reason it gets onto one page is by not having a lot of

information and pointers on it. I'm not quite sure we can meet both of those targets at once. Certainly, it can be made available electronically. Obviously, it is available electronically, it's just not available to you, that we can fix easy. Heidi has something to say.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Satish. I'm wondering, we're going to be putting up the At-Large 63 workspace today or tomorrow and I'm wondering if you would think that having a page for suggestions for meetings would be useful, that we can then draw inspiration from?

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry, I've lost track now. I think we have Carlton.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Following up on something that Seun say and to get more teeth in our policy making. This is a policy making forum and if you know the high interest sessions had lots of us floating in an among them. Maybe we should find a way together, impressions of the people who go to these high interest forums right away so we don't lose sight of it. There was a time when we asked people to writes notes and giving notes, you recall?

When we go to sessions and maybe that's the way to do it because I'm quite concerned -- this is going back to what Olivier was saying, that a couple of the most important cross community discussions have happened here. This is an opportunity for ALAC and At-Large in general to give impressions that could become a part of a policy making goal as we go along. I would suggest we have a mechanism to capture more of the responses as it happens, bring it in.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. I'll reopen the queue at this point. We may or may not have time to review action items. We have Holly and Wale and then I will put myself in the que. I'll raise my card, apparently, I need to do that.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Just follow on I suppose Carlton but also dobbing in on Jonathan, where are you, have you fled yet? It will be really usefully if say we got a policy committee and this will come out of the result of the At-Large review anyway, to strengthen the policy process, if Jonathan can coordinate two, three weeks before a meeting what the big policy issues are and links to them and so forth, so that we've got a page, people can read up and that all of us will then come to the meeting prepared to talk

about those issues that we've identified, along with say the suggestion page as well. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Or we can attend the webinars that ICANN holds before each meeting, talking about the important policy issues.

HOLLY RAICHE: I wouldn't say or, we can do that and. I do that anyway.

ALAN GREENBERG: You may but very few people do. Wale.

WALE BAKARE: My comment basically is about some questions and suggests that are pertinent to At-Large, we're not really addressed in this meeting. I would suggest taking it forward for the next meeting, we'll have a concrete plan for how to really address issues that are very, very damaging to the end users. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: We have just decided to have a suggestion page on how we run the next meeting. I would suggest you make a comment and

make it really clear exactly what kind of examples of things you would like to see there.

Two comments. Number one, Carlton mentioned the reports that people use to have to write on meetings. We stopped that, we stopped that for a good reason, A) people didn't tend to do it, B) people who did do it, expressed annoyance and no one ever looked at them. Yeah, we can start doing that again but just to write reports as an exercise, if they're not used, doesn't have a lot of effect. If we're going to implement and I have no objection, then fine. Back to Seun's comment on auction proceeds for instance.

That's an interesting situation. We scheduled a high interest topic or maybe cross community topic on auction proceeds. The working group decided they weren't ready to have a public session on it and rescheduled as an internal working group, which other people happen to attend. Since there was nothing scheduled against it, it was either go tour the old town or go to that meeting, and some chose to go, rather small room for it as it turned out. However, that's a cross community working group.

We have formally appointed five formal capital M members, on from each RALO. How many of the RALO's have had their representative who is supposed to be speaking on their behalf, on that cross community working group, come to take to their

RALO meetings or schedule a special purpose RALO meetings. How many of you even checked to see if you're member even attends the meetings?

I'm not asking for answers to those questions, I'm just pointing out that in many cases we appoint someone and we toss them over the edge of the cliff and we never talk to them again, that's why we appointment them, is make sure there is two directional discussion with the RALO's. Remember that as we appointment mew people or s we look at the existing subjects.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

On the auction proceeds, I don't think it was -- what we have done, although I'm a participant but what we have done is that we have brought many of the members and active participants have brought the issues that were discussed there to on the At-Large lists. I don't necessarily think it's only RALO specific, it's an At-Large issues and different of the members can bring those issues and brief the RAO's.

Also, it was discussed in this meeting that we didn't have any briefing materials and it's hard to brief people. We now have briefing materials because we worked on them. That was one of the things a lot of people are saying there were not bring their communities as much.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: For the record at AFRALO each month, each call all our appointed members, official or not official, liaison or official members make a report on what they are doing and take the feedback from the community. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. We are just about out of time. I'm told there was someone added to que after I said I closed the que.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Sorry, I just have a quick comment because Tijani was referring to reports, that report should be reported by the liaisons to the committees but I think some liaisons in some working groups don't attend or attend very few meetings. I think we should be looking into this before looking into the reports. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: I did suggest that people look at whether their members are attending. I'm told Olivier wants to get in the queue, no? Do we have a minute or will it take a lot more to review the action items out of this meeting? No, we're not prepared to do that right now I'm sorry, Olivier. Review the action items.

OLIVIER CREPIN LEBLONDE: That was the intent of this session though.

ALAN GREENBERG: That actually was not explicitly on the list, it was a discussion about the meeting, not necessarily review action items, although I will note that going forward we will have a review of action items at the end of every meeting. It's something I've learnt from the MSSI people on the review team.

Then, going forward for the rest of this meeting there is a RALO meeting here at 1:30 I believe. There is a meeting of the ALAC, a closed in camera meeting, no visitors, no guests, although we have invited the past two Chairs, Olivier who probably can't be there because he's in the RALO meeting and Cheryl if she can attend.

CHERYL LANGDON ORR: My apologies, I will be with my PDP.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, then our two invited members have declined, so it will be a meeting of the ALAC only, in camera, no recording, no guests to discuss the NomCom delegates. We have had

questions raised on some of them and this will be opportunity for a free and open discussion. I believe that is the only formal ALAC At-Large meetings we have going forward. There are the two afternoon sessions, which are as has been pointed out, kept unopposed and therefore are mandatory to attend. What else am I missing?

That's it I'm told. In that case, I would like to take the opportunity before we break of thanking our technical staff who as has become the norm, we never ever have any problems and therefore we think it's really simple to set up the technical operation for this organization, including remote participation, trust me it's not easy, they're just doing an amazingly good job it, so thank you.

I'd like to thank our interpretation staff, another group that going years past, if I may finish speaking before we have the applause, going back years past, we had some of the most amazing interpretation. Amazing is not necessarily a positive word in that case. The group of people we have working with us now deal with us continuously, not saying who we are, I'm Alan Greenberg by the way. We don't introduce ourselves, we technical terms and buzz words and acronyms and as far as I can tell when I listen to translations, they do a flawless job of it, they

don't complain when we continually run over session and don't let them have their breaks.

I would like to say, thank you very much. This is when Heidi tells me what I forgot to do. First you have to tell me where I've blown other things, then I thank Staff. I've been told I've done well, again, these complements don't come very often. I'll remind the At-Large Leadership Team we have a meeting tomorrow sometime, somewhere, I don't have a clue where. I would like to take this opportunity to thank our Staff, who again, we put completely unreasonable demands on and they come through.

Thank you very much. This meeting is not adjourned because it has been pointed out to me that adjourning means we're going to reconvene, this is meeting is now ended and we will restart other meetings, in other places, in other ways. Enjoy the rest of the meetings, safe travels home everyone.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]